Proposing Doug Smythies for ~ubuntu-core-doc

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Tue Feb 19 22:17:55 UTC 2013

On 2012.04.05 00:25, Matthew East <matthew.east at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2012 06:56, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
>> Thanks so much for your vote of confidence.
>>
>> Yes, I would be interested to join the team.
>> I have read the "Requirements for Ubuntu Documentation Committers" section, but several links are not working for me tonight, so I will try again tomorrow.

> Thanks, let us know if anything needs fixing.

>> I am weak on DocBook and still have a lot to learn about it. My focus has been on improving the PDF version of the serverguide.

> I suspect that your docbook knowledge is better than you think,
> particularly since understanding how the PDF generation process itself
> involves a certain amount of docbook understanding... but I don't
> think that this needs to stand in the way of your joining the team,
> because it only needs you to use the validation scripts
> ("scripts/validate.sh") to make sure that everything is working and
> you can always use merge proposals if you are not confident about a
> particular commit and want someone else to review it before it goes
> into the main branch.

I am raising a request to join the ~ubuntu-core-doc team, as was
started with this old thread.

There are reasons why I disappeared for many months, but now I am
trying to help with this 13.04 server guide cycle, and I notice
issues:

First, nobody seems to be signing up for reviews of sections.
What Peter has highlighted for this cycle, in general I don't
know about. I think we need subject matter expert input,
and I guess that other e-mail thread is somewhat covering that.

Second, there is often a big delay in getting merge proposals
reviewed and accepted. The preference would be for quicker
turn around, so one can forget about it and move on. There
are some older merge proposals for the server guide that
should be cleared up. Where I know enough about the material,
I can help with this. (Hopefully in return for quicker turn
around for my own merge proposals, which I think should be
approved, or rejected, by someone else.)

I had a look at the "Ubuntu Documentation Committers" team,
and of the 13 it seems several are actually not very active.
I would suppose the rest are overloaded.

Following the "official documentation" link on
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community eventually leads to
the server guide (html or PDF). However the server guide
is not keeping up to date, which makes it hard to point to
as the definitive reference.

I don't know what the solution is. For my part of it, I am
asking to again be considered for the team, so that I can
try to help move things along.

However, also know that I have outside things do during
summer and early fall, so will probably not be involved
much in the 13.10 cycle, or any XX.10 cycle.

Doug Smythies

Reference:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide