Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Thu Dec 12 22:15:30 UTC 2013

On 12/12/2013 04:03 PM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Peter Matulis
> <peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:
>> This is mentioned at every UDS but no one ever steps up to do anything
>> so we remain with XML.
>
> What's involved with this?

1. Ensuring the underlying source can yield HTML and PDF documents.

2. Convert *all* XML to the new format and then convert *all* of the
latter to HTML *and* PDF and make sure *everything* looks right.

3. The toolchain needs to be understandable by mortals.

(a) Will we lose "linkend" attributes?  That is, the ability to do:

<para>
If you are going to use LDAP to store Samba users you will need to
configure the Samba
server to authenticate using LDAP. See <xref linkend="samba-ldap"/> for
details.
</para>

I'm not sure how these kinds of source links will end up after
converting from XML to markdown.

(b) There may very well be other things we need to think about.  I'm not
an XML expert.

> Sections 10 through 14 need to be rewritten for Juju usage.

I don't see why not as long as i) we can achieve the same results in
terms of an actual installation and ii) do not leave people scratching
their heads.  I'm alluding to the fact that performing manual steps is
part of learning the software's architecture and, in turn, is invaluable
in how to maintain/administer the installation.  Since Juju replaces the
manual steps the text would need to replace them with corresponding
explanation.

~pmatulis