Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Thu Dec 12 13:57:14 UTC 2013

On 12/12/2013 12:07 AM, William Van Hevelingen wrote:
> Any update on the items in the blueprint?
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/serverguide/+spec/community-1308-serverguide-development
>
> (a) Settle on an XML editor that will make editing the source files easier

I was actually looking at this yesterday.  The primary candidate was XEE
(XMLmind XML Editor), a lush graphical tool, but it's not free (30-day
evaluation edition available).

I also looked at asciicode [1].  It changes the paradigm by allowing one
to use its own simple wiki-style syntax and then have that converted to
XML.  I stopped looking at it when I realized it could lead to a lot of
non-standard XML unless everyone was using it, making things even more
confusing.  This may not be the case so there is still potential here.

[1]: http://asciidoc.org/

Other editors are mentioned here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3429557/xml-editing-in-linux

Personally I use just use vim.  : )

> (b) Possibly moving away from the XML format, for the same reason

This is mentioned at every UDS but no one ever steps up to do anything
so we remain with XML.

~peter