A Though on Redundancy of Community Wiki and Other Forms of Support

Tom Davies tomcecf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 09:08:10 UTC 2013

Hi :)
+1
It's easy to get caught up in dealing with just 1 page or a few but
going through a ton of pages and making sure the tags seem right might
well be more positive.

I like having an area that people can update without even belonging to
a team.  There have been a couple of pages where tidying it up myself
has helped me understand the topic much more.  With the pages about
customising a LiveCd its helped when other people have come in and
edited my edits.  It's turned an ambiguous phrasing into something
much more solid.  With one of the ssh pages i now only need that one
page and if i work through it just copy&pasting then i get the whole
job done on a new machine quite quickly.

So community documentation has it's place and it's not a functionality
that would be good for official docs.  Forum threads are practically
impossible to follow sometimes.  You work through the main
article/1st-post and then find a string of messages saying shouldn't
have done this-or-that.  Also just because people vote for a thing
doesn't mean it's completely perfect.  For example i still don't
believe that the most influential music of the 20th century were "The
Spice Girls"
Regards from
Tom :)