Ubuntu Council and supporting Phil

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 18:11:02 UTC 2013

Hi :)
Ok, i think we get too caught-up in looking for a single leader when other groups and organisations are struggling to reduce their hierarchy to be flatter.  How about aiming to be a co-operative instead?

One of the problems with having a single leader is if they go off on holiday or leave (lets not tempt fate too much!).  With a co-operative a number of people are in control and can make decisions on-the-spot within pre-determined (or just sensible) limits.  Typically small co-ops have maybe 6 people in control.  Larger co-ops tend to find that about 6 people remain informed enough to take decisions but other people welcome to join in meetings, have their say and vote.  With larger co-ops there also tends to be smaller splinter groups, like departments, such as Finance, Maintenance, Marketing and so on.

Each working group / splinter group / department might have between 1 to 6 people that can just get on with the work and report back to the main group sometimes in some regular, formalised way but often (at the start) just when they need reassurance that they are doing the right thing.  Again everyone is welcome at their 'meetings'/discussions too so "reporting back" sometimes seems a bit irrelevant as everyone already knows but the act of reporting can help clarify issues and bring focus.

Higher-level decisions need to be taken by the main group, perhaps voted on (like all the +1s we have been getting).  Traditionally one of the problems of group decisions is speed but that is largely solved already just by having a mailing list like this one.  As the list grows it might be wise to formalise some policies by writing them down.

The main thing to watch out for is to avoid getting bogged down in discussions and just make voting fairly swift.  While it's nice to get unanimous decisions it's not always worth the effort.  Just getting support from enough +1s should give people confidence that they are doing the right thing but it's also good to see a little disagreement to make sure that people have considered alternatives rather than just being sheeple.

Regards from
Tom :)