I just removed some terminal info from the unofficial docs

Warren Hill warren-hill at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 06:35:56 UTC 2013

> Hi! I wasn't expecting this page to be subscribed to by so many users
> so since it probably sent a bunch of people email I figured I would
> post the list:

I agree with both Gunar and Benjamin.

The command line is not scary.  I've had faults on Linux (in my case it
wasn't Ubuntu) where the only access I could get was the command line so
an assumption that users will always have a GUI to use may not be the
case.

Also with 13.04 gksu is nolonger installed making it more difficult to
run GUI programs as root - it is possible to install gksu though. See:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/284306/why-is-gksu-no-longer-installed-by-default-in-13-04/284717#284717

As someone who helps a lot on Launchpad - Ubuntu Answers and Ask Ubuntu
the command line is essential.

It's much easier to ask the user to run some commands and post the
output than to tell them how to run a GUI and ask them to explain what
they see for example

What's the GUI equivalent of

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install hwinfo grep rfkill; sudo lshw
-C network; rfkill list; sudo iwlist scan | egrep -i 'chan|ssid';
cat /etc/network/interfaces; cat /etc/lsb-release; lspci -nnk | grep
-iA2 net; lsusb; nmcli nm status; sudo lshw -short; uname -a; dmesg |
egrep '02:00|80211|acx|at76|ath|b43|bcm|brcm|CX|eth|ipw|ireless|irmware|
isl|lbtf|orinoco|ndiswrapper|NPE|ound|p54|prism|rror|rtl|rt2|rt3|rt5|
rt6|rt7|usb|witch|wl';sudo dmidecode|egrep 'anufact|roduct|erial|
elease'; iwconfig; cat /etc/modprobe.d/* | egrep '80211|acx|at76|ath|
b43|bcm|brcm|CX|eth|ipw|irmware|isl|lbtf|orinoco|ndiswrapper|NPE|p54|
prism|rtl|rt2|rt3|rt6|rt7|wmi|witch|wl';
cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state; sudo hwinfo
--netcard ; ps -aux|egrep 'wpa|icd|etwork'; netstat -rn ;
cat /etc/resolv.conf; sudo lsmod

These commands contain a lot of data but for those of us who know what
they are looking for help to fix a lot of Wifi problems for users.