Getting involved in the docs team

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Wed Apr 10 19:03:33 UTC 2013

On 2013.04.08 10:10 Peter Matulis wrote:
> On 03/26/2013 11:32 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In order to get more contributors, my advice is to simplify things.
>> Make a very short guide, only containing the steps you go through when
>> you do it yourself.

> I also found the general docs a bit overwhelming when I started to get
involved with leading the Server Guide.  I came up with a starter page for
it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGu
ide
> But tried hard to not create a ghetto.  Hopefully I was successful.
> -p

I must say, that I have found the quick guide that Peter wrote,
and updates on a per release cycle basis, absolutely invaluable.
I have it bookmarked, and refer to it constantly while doing
serverguide work.

On 2013.03.25 18:30 Laura Santamaria wrote:
> P.S. - I did get the server guide email, and I am currently trying
> to get a VM up so I might get familiar with Ubuntu Server before
> volunteering.  However, I did notice that the server guide page
> linked in that email does not seem to be easily reached from the
> standard pages.  Was that intentional?

(I had an off-list e-mail exchange with Laura, and she is referring
to Peter's starter page.)

That is a good point. Peter's page should be linked from the standard
pages.

... Doug