New Tag -- For Migration Only

Chris O'Donnell chris at odonnellweb.com
Mon May 14 19:50:48 UTC 2012

---- On Mon, 14 May 2012 15:41:43 -0400 Jeremy Bicha<jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote ----

On 13 May 2012 16:11, Phill Whiteside <PhillW at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi CP,
>
> one of the most important parts of the re organising the wiki area is NO
> DELETIONS!!!
>
> If some one is happy with 8.04, we should not make them up-grade. their
> pages should be linked to. My suggestion is that such sub-pages required for
> the various releases are simply put into  a contents section that states
> what version of which notes are applicable to them.

Well 8.04 is no longer supported except for servers.

Arguably, a "NO DELETIONS!!!" policy is a great way to end up with a
disorganized, not terribly helpful mess. Some things simply aren't
worth keeping around. Other content needs to be deleted if it is
dangerous or presents a much more complicated way of doing things than
the preferred methods.

Jeremy

Deleting content related to non supported versions might be a subtle way to help get those folks to upgrade to a supported version. Especially if upon searching the wiki for something related to 8.04 or earlier, they are presented with a message that the version is no longer supported, and that to ensure they are using a secure version of Ubuntu they should upgrade...

I agree that nobody should force them to upgrade. But there is an argument to be made for not helping them stay on an unsupported version.

Chris