breaking up long pages

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 13 09:11:14 UTC 2012

Hi :)

Someone doing excellent work at breaking-up a very long page has asked my advice on a few issues.  It's just occurred to me that people or other pages might have deep-links into specific parts of the page.  By deep-links i mean links that have a # in order to reach a specific part of the page, eg
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Displays

Would it be best to keep the old titles that were on the long page and then just put a new deep-link there to the new place?  eg
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Set_menu_font_and_highlight_colors
to link to the relevant section on the new sub-page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays#Setting_Menu_Font_Colors

After the page has been broken-up is it possible to find all the other pages that might have deep-links into the original long page?  Are there other complications and if so are there good ways around those problems?

Am i being too pedantic and harsh?  After all, if deep-links break the person does get to the right page but is shown the beginning of the page where the Table-of-Contents is rather than being given exactly what they expect.

Regards from
Tom :)