Grub2 Page Revision

drstalk drstalk at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:21:30 UTC 2012

With the introduction of a new LTS, it's time to rewrite the Grub2 page. The original page was created when there was little documentation on Grub 2 from any source. The page has expanded and is currently far too long.

I have some ideas about the best way to make the revision and ask for your input but would appreciate your opinions.

1.  My suggestion is to divide Grub 2 documentation into separate pages.
      a.
Grub2 (existing page):
      Overview
Grub2/Installation&Configuration
      The Grub 2 files, how to configure them, installing Grub 2, updating from Grub Legacy,
Grub2/Booting
      How to work with the G2 menu from the boot menu.
Grub2/Submenus
      Recently created. How to use the submenu feature.
Grub2/Troubleshooting
      Working with the G2 menu (rescue mode), purging/reinstalling, terminal operations
Grub2/Themes
      Or should it be called "Displays" since it could also cover simple backgrounds, colors, etc.

Other pages which I've created (*) or seen (!) in the Ubuntu Forums tutorial section and could migrate:
      Grub2/Passwords (*)
      Grub2/BootingISOs (*)
      Grub2/CustomMenus (!)

Other pages which are needed but which I have no technical knowledge to contribute:
Grub2/UEFI
Grub2/RAID

      b. Recommendations for other G2 pages?

2.  I also have questions about the titles.
      a. Is the "Grub2/xxx" a good convention (or at least acceptable)?
      b. Is a title like "Installation&Configuration" too long. I'd guess so, but I don't want too many pages so would prefer not to split them up. Anyone have a better idea and/or title?
      b. Is there a better way of setting this up?

3. Implementation.
     At the moment, my intent would be to copy/revise a new page coexisting with the current page. I would place a note at the start of the existing section for which a new page has been created asking viewers to visit the new page and make any additions/corrections there. Once the new page was complete, the existing section would be replaced by a link to the new page.

Thanks for the inputs.

Dave
drs305