[Ubuntu-manual] top bar, menu bar, panel or top panel

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:40:13 UTC 2012

Hello, everyone.

I spoke with Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) on IRC today and asked about
the terminology for various UI elements (including the spelling,
spacing, and capitalization).  The canonical (pun intended) list
follows:

* Launcher (capitalized)
* home button (lowercase)
* workspace switcher (lowercase)
* the bar at the top is called the menu bar (two words, lowercase)
* the menu bar contains the window title, window menus, application
status menus, and system status menus. (In Ubuntu 12.10, it will also
contain the application menus.)
* Dash (capitalized)

If there are other UI elements that I've missed, please let me know
and I'll try to get the official names for them.

To the Ubuntu Manual team: I'll update our style guide to reflect
these spellings.

To the Ubuntu docs team: Do you disagree with any of the above
spellings or terms?

Thanks!

--Kevin Godby