[Ubuntu-manual] top bar, menu bar, panel or top panel

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Jul 12 10:49:50 UTC 2012

On 12/07/12 11:12, Matthew East wrote:
> The problem is that, as per Jeremy's earlier email, the language we
> use should be consistent with the wording used in the UI, which is
> "menu bar". This appears in the system settings, and also in some of
> the menus themselves. Any proposed change to this terminology needs to
> be taken up with the team which designs Ubuntu's UI.

Pedantry is a wonderful thing - until it gets in the way of
communication.  The bar at the top as I am looking at it currently has
no menu.  Sometimes it has; sometimes it hasn't depending on what is
running.  Similarly, the bar at the side ('Sidebar') is not obvious when
we call it a 'launcher'.  It has bee called a 'dock' - again not
obvious.  Please let's approach terminology from the viewpoint of
someone who is looking at Ubuntu for the first time. If you want to be
pedantic, please spend some time working on one of the help forums

Regards,        Barry.

http://ubuntuadverts.org/