Official documentation page: "Samba as a Domain Controller" suggested correction

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 12:49:16 UTC 2012

Hi Neil,

I've had a chat with the server team, and am forwarding them this email.

(13:17:45) phillw: Hi folks, is this edit okay to do?
> http://pastebin.com/SkkC1HkH
> (13:20:40) xranby: phillw: the ubuntu documentatin is correct check your
> /etc/sudoers file
> (13:20:44) xranby: # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
> (13:20:44) xranby: %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
> (13:21:28) xranby: this means that if your user is part of the admin
> group then sudo allows your user to execute all commands using sudo
> (13:26:10) phillw: xranby: thanks, I'll reply to the email.
> (13:27:22) phillw: But, possibly it could be better explained? If someone
> takes the time to report an issue it should be 'taken on board'.
> (13:30:42) rbasak: xranby: the sudo group is the correct and more
> consistent method in 12.04:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#PrecisePangolin.2BAC8-ReleaseNotes.2BAC8-CommonInfrastructure.Common_Infrastructure
> (13:31:39) rbasak: xranby: for consistency I think it would make sense
> for documentation intended for 12.04 users to refer to the sudo group
> instead of the admin group. Just my humble opinion though.
> (13:33:32) phillw: rbasak: xranby the e-mail I received simply pointed
> out that the instructions as given, do not work.
> (13:35:36) rbasak: phillw: that's odd. Both the admin and sudo groups
> should work.
> (13:35:49) phillw: does -server have an email address? I can forward the
> email to you so you can better liase with the OP?
> (13:36:21) phillw: It came to me via the -docs email address.
> (13:37:41) rbasak: There is ubuntu-server at lists.ubuntu.com. Or the full
> explanation of community support channels is at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community
> (13:38:39) phillw: rbasak: thanks, I'll forward the original email to you
> with a link back for the OP
> (13:39:32) rbasak: phillw: I can't investigate personally, sorry. I've
> got tons to do before the 12.10 release.
> (13:40:09) phillw: rbasak: I meant to the mailing list - not you in
> person!
> (13:40:20) rbasak: Oh OK. Sure, go ahead :)

Can you liase with the server team, they are better placed to advise on any
problems you have had. As mentioned, both groups should work.

Thanks for taking the time to raise the matter, we really do appreciate it.

Regards,

Phill.