Date for release of 12.04 ubuntu-docs

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 25 18:09:03 UTC 2012

On 25 April 2012 11:00, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that the 12.04 stuff is now available as a link from
> https://help.ubuntu.com/ .

Yes, we're a day early this time! Thanks so much to Matthew East for
all of his work on the new theme! There's still a few more things to
work on (anyone want to help Matthew with the installation-guide
theming?) but it looks a lot more like 2012 than the previous theme.

> I also noticed that the new format seems to auto break lines within a
> <screen> box that would otherwise violate the box boundary.
> The previous format did not do that, and we spent a lot of time fixing most
> of the box boundary violations on the serverguide (which is still required
> for the PDF anyhow).
> Example 1: 2nd line of 1st screen box on:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/configuration.html
> Example 2: find "kc6eSnTLnLxF8u0t3e56EukFeqJ" on:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/reporting-bugs.html
> I am just saying is all. For myself the take away is to check that an auto
> line break is in a logical spot that doesn't add confusion. The HTML
> documents look better without the <screen box> border violations.

I think you're saying that the HTML works a little bit better than the
PDF version.

> (At the risk of being ridiculed for using it:) If one views the serverguide
> HTML pages with Microsoft Internet Explorer, every page complains of secure
> and non-secure content and blocks unsecure content, with an option to show
> all content for that page. The desktop html pages do not have this issue (I
> only looked at a few). (I might have time later today or later this week to
> try to identify the root cause for this.)

I see a warning in Chromium also, but I also don't know why.

> I guess it doesn't matter much, but there are some changes in formats
> between the new look and the one we did all of our work on. Generally (I
> certainly did not look at all of them) bullet point lists have become
> numbered lists. The serverguide PDF is still has bullet point lists, so the
> documents deviate from each other (which they do somewhat anyhow).

Yes, I noticed this bug also. Unordered lists (bullets) are being
shown as ordered lists (numbered). That applies even to
https://help.ubuntu.com/ where the list of releases is supposed to be
just bullets.

Jeremy