Fw: Re: {Desktop 12.10 Topic] Holistic approach to Ubuntu documentation

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 16:24:02 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 20/4/12, Tom Davies <tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

From: Tom Davies <tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: {Desktop 12.10 Topic] Holistic approach to Ubuntu documentation
To: "Phill Whiteside" <PhillW at Ubuntu.com>
Date: Friday, 20 April, 2012, 17:23

HI :)
The best bet seems to be to make pages as generic as possible so that the advice and coding works for any version of Ubuntu and preferably for the rest of the family.  It's not always possible so it might need a sub-section to give specific examples on a specific release and then show how that might be adapted for other versions.  Sometimes a child-page would be needed and linked to but that starts making things really messy.

A lot of the older pages that were written for a specific release probably still work for newer versions using the "classic desktop" (ie Gnome rather than Unity) but because they mention a specific release they are in danger of being deleted instead of just being modified to be more generic.
Regards from
Tom :)

--- On Thu, 19/4/12, Phill Whiteside