{Desktop 12.10 Topic] Holistic approach to Ubuntu documentation

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 20 00:14:27 UTC 2012

Den 19. april 2012 15:58, skrev Phill Whiteside:
> warrants a bit of discussion. I'm dead against deleting stuff, for
> example - some one may actually still be running 8.10, and see no
> reason to change. We should not 'force' them to change because we have
> deleted the information resource.

My point is that a page with information about an unsupported version
should be Obviously Invalid. If you've chosen to use an unsupported
version, then you have to live with that. Users who choose to use
supported versions should be prioritized – LTS users at the top. Exactly
how this should be done, is a different issue. Right now, old, outdated
information looks identical to updated, valid information. That is a
problem.

Instant recognition of information that's confirmed and reliable,
instant recognition of information that is wrong, and instant
recognition of information that must be treated with some caution. This
creates confidence. You know what you're dealing with and what to expect.

At no point should you have any reason to be suspicious, because that
has a dramatic effect on your ability to learn. That's the main point.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad