Localized ubuntu-docs screenshots

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 17 19:12:47 UTC 2012

Al 17/04/12 17:35, En/na Matthew East ha escrit:
> On 17 April 2012 12:14, David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A while ago I set up an Ubuntu One share to make it easier for
>> translators to submit localized screenshots for the Ubuntu documentation.
>>
>> I noticed that there haven't been any updates apart from those from the
>> German team, which seem to have committed to ubuntu-docs already.
>>
>> Is there any other team who wanted to submit localized screenshots?
>>
>> Assuming the docs team agrees (as we are already quite late in the
>> cycle), we could do a final round up commit with localized images.
>
> The final ubuntu-docs upload before the release will be tonight, with
> translations, as these need to be in before the
> LanguagePackTranslation deadline. We currently have French and German
> screenshots, committed by Jeremy Bicha using his automated screenshot
> process.

Actually, this brings up another subject that we discussed on
#ubuntu-desktop this afternoon: this might have been my fault for not
checking out and giving a heads up, but I hadn't realized that there
hadn't been any ubuntu-docs upload last week.

Since we implemented the feature whereby localized documentation is part
of the language packs a few cycles ago, ubuntu-docs need to be uploaded
to launchpad prior to starting the process of exporting the translations
for language packs.

Uploading the final Ubuntu Docs package tonight will already be too
late, as today marks the date when we do the final export for
translations (at 22:00UTC), and the docs translations will most probably
not be imported on time.

We could conceivably hack the generated language packs, which will be
built tomorrow, to include them. I'd personally be a bit wary of doing
this for the LTS, but I'll let Martin comment on this.

It effectively means that the final Ubuntu docs translations for 12.04
will be those from the upload on the 2nd of April [1], and any others
will have to be delivered in a post-release language pack update, which
I'd like to schedule quite early after release (more on this on an
e-mail tomorrow).

> The issue of including further screenshots might actually raise a disk
> space issue. I'm not sure that the technology which currently strips
> out all translations from the ubuntu-docs package is equipped to deal
> with screenshots. We will need to make sure that it is, because
> otherwise the additional screenshots will increase the size of the
> ubuntu-docs package and possibly impact upon the size of the default
> live CD image.
>
> I've copied Martin Pitt on this email, as he knows how all this works.

That's a really good point, let's see if Martin can clear this up.

> Realistically, we are looking at a post-release update in order to add
> more localised screenshots, or 12.10.

Thanks, it'd be great if we could get some out there for the next 12.04
post-release language pack.

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+publishinghistory