[FFe] New screenshots for Ubuntu installer slideshow

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:25:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> But we're already three days past the deadline for stuff that goes on
> the live-cd.  Could you explain the implications of this?
>
> Regards
> Ask

Sure. We're still four days from the candidate window — April 19 —, so
the current image is (as far as I know) not the final image. It just
almost_ is. With the final freeze in place, it's important to make
sure these things only happen for exceptional circumstances so the
image doesn't change rapidly leading up to it.

I believe the install slideshow is an exceptional circumstance. If
we're showing all these pictures of old versions of apps and apps that
aren't installed by default any more — as they were — it makes Ubuntu
look very clumsy. I also believe it's a very, very minor thing.
Historically these types of updates for this package have not caused
problems. It's just content, after all.

The change in disk space is minor, but I'll mention it: the
screenshots folder is the only thing changing, and it is now 473 kB,
up from the last version (463 kB). Both of those are smaller than what
was in Ubuntu 11.10 (535 kB).

Dylan