Permission

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 15 00:23:15 UTC 2012

On 10 April 2012 04:27, Mark Luce <mark.luce at braintribe.com> wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Documentation Team,
>
> My name is Mark Luce, I'm an American living in Austria and I work at a
> software company in Vienna named Braintribe IT Technologies GmbH, we produce
> a type of Document Management Systems but much more powerful than that
> appellative would imply; here's our link;
> http://www.braintribe.net/en/index.html#
>
> The reason for which I write to you is that I am in the Documentation
> department and I wanted to use real world examples of documents that the IT
> departments  of companies/organizations who are presently and will become
> our customers, can relate to and are familiar with, and of course I
> naturally thought of you and your product because it is open source and in
> use worldwide either alone or in conjunction with Windows. I am formally
> asking you permission if I can use various components of Ubuntu as screen
> shots for our documentation process; I would be using images (mainly your
> famous Crane) and a few PDF Manuals like "Getting Started with Ubuntu
> 10.10.pdf" which is only seen as a title in our system.  I can submit a few
> samples of my work for your viewing evaluation.

The famous Hardy Heron default wallpaper is copyright Ashton Lafferty
and is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 (or
later). The "Getting Started" Ubuntu Manuals is copyright the Ubuntu
Manual Team and are licensed under Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Those licenses allow you to use, modify and redistribute the image or
manual as long as you give credit to the original authors and your
derivate work uses the same license.

As far as screenshots go, I think you can take screenshots of the
Ubuntu interface as fair use without needing permission first, but I'm
not a legal expert nor am I speaking officially for the Ubuntu project
or Canonical.

Jeremy Bicha