Translation status for ubuntu-docs

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 3 07:57:46 UTC 2012

Al 03/04/12 08:49, En/na Matthew East ha escrit:
> Hi,
>
> On 26 March 2012 11:09, David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> You're probably aware of the feature, but you can also alternatively
>> export translations to a separate branch, which you can choose to merge
>> to trunk at your convenience. In whichever way you use it, branch
>> exports and imports are recommended over manual exports and imports.
>
> Yes, I was aware of it, but I don't really see any benefit in using it
> over and above a simple export of po files from Launchpad. What are
> the reasons why a branch export is recommended over a manual export?

In general,

- Correct paths: Paths and PO file names of branch exports are correct,
unlike many manual exports
- More automation: no need to manually go to the web UI, request an
export, wait for Launchpad to reply, get download URL from Launchpad's
e-mail. Changes are committed daily to the branch, which can then be
merged to trunk with one bzr command, instantly, without having to wait
for Launchpad.
- Latest data availability: expanding on the previous point, having the
latest data available without the need of manual intervention, makes it
possible to provide infrastructure to help community work around that
data. I've not announced it widely as it is not more than an experiment
for now, but I've been working on such a tool as a helper to
documentation translation work, and getting feedback from translators
(see below).

Last week I had a chat on #ubuntu-doc with jbicha and he set the exports
branch for me, which is what I'm using to generate a daily HTML build of
translated documentation to help translators [1]. This has been very
helpful, so I think this point is already covered, thanks Jeremy!

Cheers,
David.

[1] http://91.189.93.101/ (currently down for maintenance)

--