UI freeze exception

Charline Charline.poirier at Canonical.com
Wed Sep 21 11:24:20 UTC 2011

On 21/09/11 09:51, Matthew East wrote:
> On 21 September 2011 09:34, Charline<Charline.poirier at canonical.com>  wrote:
>> On 20/09/11 22:04, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>>
>> On 20 September 2011 08:56, Charline<Charline.poirier at canonical.com>  wrote:
>>
>> We have filed a UI freeze exception to add system settings icon to the
>> launcher [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/764744].  This
>> bug is critical.  It would be much appreciated if you could add a
>> comment acknowledging this bug so it can be fixed promptly.
>>
>> I disagree that the bug is critical. In fact, pitti and I already
>> commented on the bug report that the proposed change would make things
>> worse for netbook and even some laptop users by reducing the amount of
>> space for running apps in the launcher by default.
>>
>> In usability testing this has been repeatedly an issue.  Participants failed
>> any task that requires they use system settings. System settings is critical
>> to users and critical to adoption. We should include by default in the
>> launcher anything that is critical to usage. It would be a great improvement
>> if we could fix this now.
> The difference between you seems to come from a different definition
> of "critical". The definition used in Ubuntu is quite woolly [1] "A
> bug which has a severe impact on a large portion of Ubuntu users".
> This is usually used for bugs which break a large number of Ubuntu
> systems.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance
>
> This bug has been open since 18 April 2011 and has been present in
> Ubuntu 11.04 since its release. It can't possibly be the case that it
> is so important that it wasn't fixed since April 2011 and suddenly
> now, right at the end of the release when we are already in
> documentation string freeze, it needs to be fixed.
Actually, the fact that it hasn't been fixed doesn't reflect on the
level of criticality of that bug.  If you look at its history, you will
realise that this  bug has been critical all along.  To review:

   1. The bug was reported on 18-04 and set as high
   2. Mark confirmed the  change on 26-04
   3. The bug was assigned to Jason Smith on 05-05
   4. Didier unassigned it on 16.09
   5. John responded to this by restating that the bug was critical, on
      the same day,
   6. Jeremy said +1 and agreed that system settings should be added by
      default on 16.09

There are no doubt many reasons for this bug to have fallen between the
cracks which are entirely foreign to its criticality and its now urgency
to finally get it fixed.

--

*CHARLINE POIRIER*
*User Research Programme Lead*