Idea for Wiki Structure

buzzbuzz11 at comcast.net buzzbuzz11 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 20:27:05 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I am new to the list, and I got pointed here by someone on the Ubuntu Forums (no idea what their actual name is, I just have a screenname). I talked a few ideas over with them, and they suggested I bring the ideas here and subscribe.

>From the message:

"Habeouscorpus:Also, I just thought of something. Maybe the wiki could adopt a portal system. A beginner's portal, where things are nice and friendly, an intermediate, where certain levels of experience are assumed, and an expert, where a single sentence hardly goes by without some kind of command in it. That way, people aren't overwhelmed when they ask for help. (And if they're sleep-deprived, they can use the beginner directions so they won't fsck their system!)

The idea of putting the wiki into a more accessible location is a great idea. I stumbled upon it by chance [when I first started using Ubuntu] during a google search. If I hadn't, I would never have known. Maybe the wiki could have links to threads, too. Symbiosis, anyone?

manzdagratiano: Hey I never replied to you again! Apologies! Your idea is great... in fact, the Arch wiki often links back to threads, and gradually they move the information to the wiki over time when the solution becomes standardized. The Ubuntu wiki is often plagues by opaque writing styles that newbies will not understand, so there is a dire need for writers who can put themselves in the shoes of n00bs... And at the moment there is also the issue of theme transitioning, which I am trying to help out on... So just plunge in and start anywhere you like, and make your voice heard on the ubuntu-doc mailing list.... As our numbers grow, change will be visible soon!"

I can provide the whole thread (I think) on request. Any comments?

~Colleen B

P.S: No idea how to reply to messages. Help appreciated.