Docs Team meeting minutes - May 29th, 20:00 UTC

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:09:52 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Here are my meeting minutes from the May 29th, 2011, meeting. We still have
a good amount to cover, but I feel like this was a good start.

Please follow-up with any comments to the meeting on this thread. Thanks to
all who participated!

Jim
--------------------------

Ubuntu Docs team meeting - Sunday, May 29th, 20:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting

Attendees:
Benjamin Lorimor (BravoDeltaLima)
Connor Imes (Rocket2DMn)
David Wonderly (Darkwing Duck)
Isabell Long (issyl0)
Jim Campbell (j1mc)
Micheal Harker (MichealH)
Murray Gunn (vtanthropologist)
Steven Richards (Captainkrtek)

Discussed priorities for this release
- On disk help and web-based help
- Making sure that the docs are accurate, and are completed on-time
- Documentation for default Ubuntu apps
- Cleanup and reorganization of the docs team wiki. Building wiki as a spot
for team infrastructure.

On-Disk and Web-based help
- Reviewed basic website mockup ( http://min.us/mvfcYuY ) the group was
liked the basic layout, but it's unclear how we would integrate it with our
current help.
- Also looked at http://docs.openstack.org . That layout uses docbook + a
google summer of code project to render the help in a nicely-presented way.
All of the build-tools and code is on launchpad under an apache license.
- Adam Somer and Robbie Williamson of the server group have said that they
like the layout there. It wouldn't require us to move away from docbook for
the server guide, either.
- Connor mentioned that it looks like javascript is needed for the openstack
docs site.
- These are neat approaches, but we need a comprehensive look at things.
- None of the people in the meeting had more than basic experience in
building websites
- We agreed that it is each team's responsibility to update their own site,
but that we can reach out for help from other teams.
- Agreed to arrange a meeting just to look at the help.ubuntu.com site

Bug report
- Discussed status of docs bugs
- No noteworthy bugs to report at this time

Docs for Default Ubuntu Apps
- We discussed documentation of default Ubuntu apps
- The Gnome wiki lays out the current status of docs for various Gnome apps:
http://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Tasks/ApplicationHelp
- Some apps have relatively up-to-date docs, and other apps need a doc
overhaul
- Some expressed concern that we would be stretching ourselves too thin to
work on docs for default apps
- Captainkrtek, vtanthropologist and issyl0 said that they would be ok with
doing updates to existing docs / editing work (more of a refresh than a
complete overhaul)
- If someone wants to contribute docs to the Software Center or a similar
Canonical-derived app, they would need to sign the Canonical Contributor
agreemnt (http://www.canonical.com/contributors) This is not required for
Gnome apps.
- We need to be careful about stretching ourselves too thin with our
efforts. How can we collaborate with GNOME on this?

Team Wiki:
- Team wiki is in need of an update
- Note that this is about https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam, NOT
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
- Jim has done some initial content inventory work on this, but it isn't
done yet
- Agreed to follow-up on this at the next meeting

Meeting time:
- Attendees agreed that the scheduled meeting time (Sunday at 20:00 UTC)
worked well (we had attendees from the U.S., Europe and Australia)
- Next formal meeting time would be 2 weeks from that Sunday -- June 12th at
20:00 UTC

Action items
- Jim to do a test build of the server guide using the openstack build
infrastructure
- Schedule a meeting via doodle to begin planning for help.ubuntu.com update
- Jim to work on content inventory for docs team wiki
- Individuals should look at the Gnome wiki to find an app that they might
want to work on for this cycle.
- Next meeting for June 12 at 20:00 UTC