Localisation of help.ubuntu.com

Kenneth Nielsen k.nielsen81 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:33:40 UTC 2011

Hallo

I whole-heartedly agree with this idea and the arguments presented by
Andrej. As a translator I'm always looking for ways to ensure that my
work remains relevant and benefits many people. Letting localized
documentation be a translation of the official English documentation
will increase quality, ensure that it is kept up-to-date and decrease
duplicate work, that's a win-win-win kind of thing.

To improve the user experience I would furthermore impose a
restriction, such that only languages where more than 95-98% percent
of the documentation is localized is discoverable on the website.

The only possible problem I can think of with this idea (besides the
work involved in making the website localizable) is if Canonical wants
to have some way to ensure a certain quality of the documentation
(including the localizations), since if the work is based purely on
volunteers there really is no way to ensure that. It is the same
problem faced right now with the translation of Ubuntu Pay.

Regards Kenneth Nieslen (TLE)