Localisation of help.ubuntu.com

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu May 5 11:50:07 UTC 2011

2011/5/3 Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>:
>> I'm not very happy with a redirection vs. a full localization solution.
>> As far as I know, that redirection project is now stalled.
>
> Perhaps it needs to be rejuvenated...
>
> Could you also provide your reasons or counter-arguments as to why you
> prefer a full localization solution?

My last summary was at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2010-May/003662.html

The key thing is that help.ubuntu.com is linked from Ubuntu start page
(as is the community page), and the links themselves are translated
indicating that there would be localized information available.

The full localization would be preferred mainly since the user would
be immediately served with what she needs, instead of extra
information reading and clicking. However, the banner would be ok as
well, simply because anything is better than the current situation
which is surely disappointing to any non-English speaking person
seeking for help via the browser front page.

Well, optimally there maybe should be both the localized link and full
localization of help.ubuntu.com, since most users would benefit from
easier access to LoCo pages as well.

Full localization also has the benefit that it can be centrally
automated for all translations available, while the level of
automation possible/doable by LoCos for their sites varies and some
would perhaps not do it at all because of the technical skills it
needs.

-Timo