[oneiric] Where should we keep the serverguide?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue May 3 09:43:27 UTC 2011

Hi David,

On 3 May 2011 10:18, David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Please do not forget about translations. The server guide is a huge
> document and there are translation teams which have done an incredible
> effort to translate it.
>
> Once the separate branch has been set up, may I ask someone with write
> permissions to commit these [1] PO files to it? I've just exported them
> from Launchpad to make it easier.

We have already included the translations from the natty ubuntu-docs
branch in the new serverguide branch. We will update these when the
natty translations are updated.

> And once more, now that the server guide will only be available online
> and on PDF, I'd like to bring up the subject of enabling translations on
> help.ubuntu.com, as otherwise only the English version will be
> available. Translators and LoCos keep asking for this, and I'll be more
> than happy to help in anything I can in that regard.

Each time we discuss this it seems to stall. I've repeatedly set out
my reasons why I think that local team websites should be encouraged
to provide localised help rather than help.ubuntu.com, and I've
repeatedly said that I'm interested in hearing what translators and
local team leaders think about it - but the discussion never seems to
get further than that. See for example:

The last time we discussed it, I noted that there was a specification
in the ubuntu-website project to develop an auto-redirection solution
for www.ubuntu.com which offers users a link to the local team website
in their language. If that solution were implemented for
www.ubuntu.com, I think it would be sensible to use it for
help.ubuntu.com too.

Various references to previous discussions.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-May/014775.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-May/014782.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-September/015159.html

Would you be willing to prepare a specification setting out the pros
and cons of the idea and starting a(nother) discussion about it? If
the solution is to implement some technology on help.ubuntu.com that
points users to a local website, would someone be interested in
working on this?

> Finally, another thought: would it not make sense to have an additional,
> separate serverguide source package, so that the documentation can also
> be read offline in an installed system?. Apologies if that's been
> discussed already, as I haven't followed all the previous threads on the
> server guide.

This was discussed here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-August/015117.html

and on the server list: