ubuntu-docs: Looking for a starting point in Wiki Documentation.

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:06:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Tiffany <tiffany.antopolski at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi ubuntu-doc-team!
>
>     My name is Tiffany Antopolski.  I am interested in contributing to
> Ubuntu Wiki Documentation.  I have done some documentation work with Gnome.
> This past year I have contributed to Evince documentation as well as the
> Gnome-Help for Gnome 3.0 in the form of Mallard documentation.  Ubuntu is
> the only distribution I use, so I think it would be only natural to
> contribute to the Ubuntu Documentation Team.
>
> I am a third year Software Engineering student, and have found that docs
> are a great way to get involved with such an awesome community.  I am also
> in the process of writing up a Summer of Code application to start
> contributing in the form of development.
>
> I have often relied on Ubuntu Wiki Documentation to help me figure things
> out, especially when I was first starting to use Ubuntu.
>
> I was wondering if there are any particular areas that need attention, or a
> to do list I can look to for a place to start?
>
> My irc name is mimico.  I will be on #ubuntu-doc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tiffany

I worked with Tiffany a bit at the Gnome documentation hackfest.  She's
contributed so much to Gnome docs - we're really lucky to have her looking
to contribute to Ubuntu docs.

Tiffany, with regards to the wiki, there is a page [0] that provides links
to pages that need work in one way or another. You can peruse the links off
of that page and update pages that interest you and need work.

I'm sure that there are additional pages which need to be tagged as
applicable to unsupported versions, style cleanup, etc. You can mark any
pages that have "issues" with the appropriate tags, too.

Finally, if there's a page that just doesn't exist yet, or a topic that
interests you, you can feel free to write or update wiki pages on those
topics, too.

If you have any questions, we're on #ubuntu-doc on the freenode irc network
(though the channel can be kind of quiet at times), or you can post
questions to the mailing list.

Thanks, Tiffany!

Jim
[0] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tag