Bug: There is no Ubuntu "wiki" (storehouse of information) easily accessible to new users

Manjul Apratim manjul.apratim at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:57:04 UTC 2011

I agree with most arguments presented here, and I would not wish to have any
of the relevant forum sections removed or have the documentation be created
from scratch.

I would like to, however, chart out a concrete plan of attack to make the
Ubuntu knowledge base immaculate, at least as much as Arch's.

My proposals:

1) I would like to see the frontpage "help.ubuntu.com" merged with the
frontpage "https://help.ubuntu.com/community". Before I receive raised
eyebrows for this, pray let me elucidate: The "help.ubuntu.com" part is a
tiny page anyway, and it could be made an opening section of the resulting
page, with the title "Official Installation Guide". The pages linking from
it for each release starting from Dapper could still be left immutable.

2) I will start from "ground up" - basically, over the next couple of weeks
or so (I would like to start right NOW but I am extremely busy; I shall have
to do this when I am taking a break or so), I shall try to make extensive
changes to the opening page of the community documentation. This is because
putting myself in the shoes of a newbie, I do not really like how the page
is organized nor much of what is on the page (compare this with how the new
Ubuntu installer greets you). I will make the changes as I feel are
appropriate, and then paste an appropriate "changelog" here, asking people
for feedback. The best thing about this is that since this is the best form
of "peer-review", it can only get better. I will proceed to the linking
pages in due course.

3) Some of the pages that link from the first page, for instance:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CategoryCategory

look like simply, for the lack of a better word, YUCK! Even if the pages
linking from that page are to remain named "CategoryXXX", there is no reason
the word category should appear in the text corresponding to each link,
making it appear a million times on that page. I would like to remove the
word "Category" from all those links.

I will post later as I think of more ideas.

Manjul

--
Manjul Apratim