Proposal: change the wiki.ubuntu.com front page

David D. Lowe daviddlowe.flimm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:56:40 UTC 2011

Hello all.

I have a proposal to change the front page of wiki.ubuntu.com. It needs
to emphasise the difference between wiki.ubuntu.com and help.ubuntu.com
more than it does already. I've been using Ubuntu for years now, and I
completely missed the explanation in the first paragraph. Reading past
messages in this mailing list makes me realise I'm not the only one.

Here is a screenshot of how I would modify the front page:
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/aeuaehcl/Workspace1_001.png

Here is my list of changes:

I've deleted the section entitled "Getting Help With Ubuntu".

Instead, under the header "Getting Involved", I've added a paragraph in
a blue box next to an information icon, copied from this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Signpost/TimeTaken

The text of that paragraph is:

"If you are looking for user help related documentation, please go to
Official Help Documentation or Community Support to find support
information. The purpose of this wiki is solely to assist Ubuntu
contributors."

The last sentence is an addition of mine and is there to re-emphasise
the purpose of wiki.u.c as distinct from help.u.c.

Another small change is that I've replaced the "Ubuntu Help" link in the
second navigation bar with "About Ubuntu". I feel the "Ubuntu Help" link
was misleading as it implied that help is a part of this current
website, which is in't. If users are looking for help, they should be
able to spot the rather large tip paragraph in blue underneath.

What do you think? If there are no objections, can an admin modify this
immutable page for me, please?

David D Lowe