Bug: There is no Ubuntu "wiki" (storehouse of information) easily accessible to new users

Manjul Apratim manjul.apratim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 05:19:59 UTC 2011

I agree 100% with the Tutorials and Tips idea - I am myself going to strive
to push all of that into the wiki, and I am going to urge forum members to
do so themselves, so that the section may be shut down from the forums.

Regarding searching for the problem in Google, I beg to differ in one major
aspect, and that is the aspect of human nature - if you are lost you would
first and foremost try to find the way home, and not try to look for
alternative means of support, and this is the same idea I am talking about
capitalizing on. Of course, even with a fragmented documentation, people
will still find the relevant page with a Google search, but they do not know
then that this is the *definitive* place to go to. In fact, if one knows
that one may find the answer in "help.ubuntu.com", one will look for "
help.ubuntu.com", first rather than search for say, "Ubuntu Broadcom 4312
not connecting" in Google, because the latter creates uncertainty, at least
in the mind of the naive n00b.

A new wiki is not so much called for as is the merging of different channels
of help available with regard to the documentation. On a broad abstraction,
a distinction between the "Ubuntu wiki" and the "help pages" needs to be
made more stark, and the "help pages" need to be a single hub of
information, rather than a bifurcated mess to choose from. The wiki of
course, won't be fixed unless the community fixes it itself, but the
community should have incentive to go there to fix it first - the help pages
need to be awarded a more central role than they already are in, which is a
sidekick one to the "official documentation".

--
Manjul Apratim