Ubuntu Help - I need help

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 01:43:02 UTC 2011

Hi :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!  This link might help with things generally
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

First, do you know which release of Ubuntu you are using?  On the top taskbar go
System - "About Ubuntu"
which hopefully says something useful like "You are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS".
Please let us know.

Generally it is possible to install Windows programs in Linux but it is usually
better to use a Package Manager to look for Linux programs instead as they will
generally run better on Linux.  For #3 try going up to the top taskbar and click
on

System - Administration - "Synaptic Package Manager"

Use either of Synaptic's search tools to find "GIMP" and install it.  Gimp is
roughly equivalent to PhotoShop although you might need to add some Add-ons for
specific functionality that you might need.  The search tools look in package
descriptions as well as titles so you can be a bit vague about what
functionality you are looking for.

#1 Use medibuntu to add a ton of multimedia functionality and codecs
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
I kept the non-free components and haven't had to pay anything yet.  It's a bit
easier for the moment but i hope to go completely OpenSource 'one day'.  I would
install vlc and mplayer to get a few more crucial codecs.  Then install a "flash
player" to be able to watch YouTube and play some online games.

#2 I would recommend "Thunderbird" as a much simpler email client.  "Claws" is
even simpler but perhaps a step too far.  Use Synaptic to install either.
Generally they try to import your settings from Evolution but because they are
simpler they often just magically work.  Then Evolution might make more sense
later.  Do you really need a calendar in your email client too? (if so ignore my
advice for #2)

#3 Try Gimp instead.  If you really do need photoshop then install "Wine" which
stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".  It does roughly the same job but uses a
far more sophisticated approach to avoid adding an extra layer between the
programs and the hardware.  Usually just double-clicking the exe installer for a
Windows program is supposed to be enough but sometimes Wine needs a bit of
tweaking for certain apps and i think Photoshop is one of the troublesome ones
http://www.winehq.org/

#4 First step is to use Synaptic to search for the functionality the program
gives you.  For example search for "chess".  It gives a list including engines,
front-ends, pgn converters and even some clients that allow you to play online,
against the machine or against a human on your own machine.  It adds "Go"
(japanese 'chess') and probably a few other games you can choose to install.
Dreamchess is a good one for games against a local friend or yourself, or the
machine.  "Battle for Wesnoth", "Neverball", "Galaga" are quite entertaining and
if you like FPSes then "Alien Arena" can be tough.

#5 There is much less need to use antivirus in linux because the Operating
System is writen to be much more secure.  Normal usage very rarely requires you
to be SuperUser.  The package managers update ALL programs, codecs, libraries
and everything, not just the core OS.  Programs tend to be from the selected
repositories rather than randomly picked from sites that may have been
compromised.  however there are still risks, especially scams such as phising.
Also you can happily download a virus and be completely unaware of it
(unaffected by it) while unwittingly copying it out to Windows users.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AntiVirus
So, i tend to install ClamAv but don't run it as a background task.  I just run
it when i feel the urge.  As those links say it is better to stay ahead of the
game and stay safe.

Another link you might like is
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

I hope something here helps!