Ubuntu Help - I need help

Shane Dunleavy nugget67 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 02:35:42 UTC 2011

To Whom It May Concern,
My name is Shane, I am 43 years of age. I have just installed Ubuntu along side my current operating system & I must say after attempting a look at it quite sometime ago, I am very happy with it now. Although I do have some questions; all the following questions relate to Ubuntu;

#1 - When I try to play certain video files, the media player will only play certain .mpg files & not play others. It will however play .avi files easily. Is there something else that I need to download for the media player to play all video files of all file types ?

#2 - I am having trouble configuring Evolution Mail correctly. It seems to take a long time for a new mail message to send. I have set up my hotmail account in Evolution. I am not even sure if I have the settings correct. After I have exited Evolution, if any messages are left in the sent folder, they transfer to the trash folder....how do i stop this?

#3 - I have Adobe Photoshop running on windows xp , how can I install it on Ubuntu & run it from Ubuntu. I have been told that I need to install a program that will run .exe files ???

#4 - i have quite a few programs that i run through windows xp - how can i get these same programs to run through Ubuntu ?

#5 - is there any need for a anti-virus program on Ubuntu, I have been told by a close friend who swears by Ubuntu, that there is no real need for a anti-virus, is this correct?

I would so dearly appreciate any assistance that anyone can give.

Please feel free to email me with any tips & help

Kind Regards,
Shane Dunleavy

nugget67 at hotmail.com