Changes to ubuntu-docs build

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 29 20:11:13 UTC 2011

On 29 August 2011 20:41, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 15:04, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 29 August 2011 18:41, Kyle Nitzsche <kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com> wrote:
>>> Have you worked with ubuntu language pack folks to ensure any necessary
>>> adjustments are made there too?
>>
>> The language pack links are all created automatically during the
>> package build by the pkgbinarymangler tool. This will need to be
>> updated to reflect the new location for Gnome and Ubuntu help. Having
>> said that it could already be working, I'll look into whether this is
>> the case and if not I'll poke Martin to update it.
>
> Kyle & Matthew, thanks for looking into this.
>
> How can we ensure that itstool is used instead of intltool? How does
> the potfile get made normally? Is it manual or automatic?
> pkgbinarymanagler may just need to be extended for itstool as more
> GNOME apps will be using itstool for help and using the Mallard
> comments.

pkgbinarymangler doesn't affect the pot or po files. Those are taken
care of by the Gnome build mechanism. I don't know whether this has
also been updated to use itstool - this will also need to be something
that we look into prior to Documentation String Freeze.

All pkgbinarymangler does is to strip the translated xml out of the
binary package during the package build process on Launchpad, and move
it into an area which gets picked up by language packs.

> What should we do with upstream help translations? It's not possible
> to easily merge them with our help & translations, right?

It can be done, but the way we do this is to encourage translators to
upload their upstream translations to Launchpad, which then performs
the merge for them.

> About Ubuntu doesn't exist on Oneiric, right? Because I don't see it
> on my computer any more.

That's correct.

--
Matthew East