The REAL "fancy pants"

Vikram Dhillon dhillonv10 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:47:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Manjul Apratim
<manjul.apratim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whilst objections are being raised over a perfectly good Google solution,
> there is a REAL "fancy pants" who keeps messing up
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation. Apparently he has the
> nick "SammyWilson", and he inserts spurious links to some "loan
> modification" web page in there - this has happened twice in the past few
> days already, and thanks to the vigilant Ubuntu warriors out there such spam
> has not prevailed for long. What bothers me is not the fact that the page
> was vandalized, but that changing something on help.ubuntu.com requires a
> Launchpad account, and this entity's account does not exist now, but
> apparently did when the page was exploited. I remember seeing the discussion
> that Launchpad was hard to register at in the first place, particularly
> because of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, and I remember that that was my first
> tryst with GPG keys. So either this person goes through a lot of trouble
> each time, or there is a security flaw in Launchpad, and either issue is a
> cause for concern!
>
> --
> Manjul Apratim

Manjul, I read your previous reply to the other conversation about
using google for internal search. While we appreciate that you took
the time to look through revision history, there's no problem there.
Here's what I mean:

[DIFF] 	MediaWiki 	06:33 	Info 	Tom [1-2]
                                                        SammyWilson [3]

[DIFF] 	Community Documentation 	06:32 	Info 	Tom [1]

         SammyWilson [2]

The first edit was made at 6:32, then the next one at 6:33, the
account was removed after the second edit therefore both of them were
made before the user was removed and at that time he still had editing
privileges. The launchpad security model is one of the best I've seen
around, so there's nothing wrong with it.

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon

~~~