Some fancy pants screwed help.ubuntu.com search again.

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Aug 15 15:01:36 UTC 2011

On Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:56:07 pm Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 14 August 2011 17:19, Marko Oreskovic <markoresko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just tried to do searching on help.ubuntu.com
> > and it would not give back search results,
> > since I am totally unwilling letting google.com java scripts run on my
> > machine.
> >
> > Ubuntu help, naming, help.ubuntu.com should not depend on Google for
> > search, it is quite disgusting depending on some company's service for
> > internal OS documentation.
>
> Fortunately, Ubuntu installs help by default so you aren't depend on
> Google or even an internet connection to get decent help. Just look
> for an app named Help or you can run "yelp".
>
> > I would just say that Google is personal information-hungry company and
> > I ABSOLUTELY do NOT allow google.com Java Scripts to run on ANY of
> > browsers on my machine (See NoScript.net for Mozilla Firefox and
> > Seamonkey and NOscripts I think, For Chromium - Chrome is Google
> > intrusive privacy-infested)
> >
> > The reason I personally use gmail is beside point.
>
> In other words, you only use Google when you think they have a good
> product? Well Google has a pretty good search product.

I have to agree that "Google is not your friend", and I agree that one ought
not to have to run any info collecting scripts.  After all, how many dead
Nigerian businessmen offering millions of dollars do we really need emails
from?  I think mine currently amount to approximately 116 million dollars
offered me per day.  I'm not Obamer, I really don't normally spend hundreds of
millions of dollars per day!  ...now my wife on the other hand...!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403