Some fancy pants screwed help.ubuntu.com search again.

Marko Oreskovic markoresko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:27:28 UTC 2011

Matthew East wrote:
> On 15 August 2011 10:19, Marko Oreskovic <markoresko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matthew East wrote:
>>> As I understand it, we implemented a method of search on
>>> help.ubuntu.com for users not willing to use javascript in response to
>>> Marko's previous complaint about the subject.
>>
>> Great would be just fixing like before, like you stated.
>
> I'm not sure why this would not still be working. As Jeremy said, this
> is not high priority for us but if you can tell us why it is not
> working and submit a patch to fix it, I'll be happy to look at it.

I am not at the server to know why.
If pointed to the code/configuration/changes to help.ubuntu.com,
I might ask someone to dig into this.
If problem could be put back to old track by getting old help.ubuntu.com
from backup, that might be desirable unless Google now requires google
java script unconditionally at the client for custom search?

All I know is the report from the client side: help.ubuntu.com not
working for site search.

Previous behavior that was acceptable on help.ubuntu.com was that
search without google scripts worked only if also ubuntu.com javascript
is blocked, too.

- With Chromium browser search box is not even displayed
if ubuntu.com Javascript is not turned on.
And then, with google.com javascript off, one get no results.

- With Firefox and Seamonkey, search box IS displayed with no running
ubuntu.com javascript ,
but after entering search text, Google massage appears , saying that:
Google Custom Search requires JavaScript.

Do you think Ubuntu search server itself, could do that client thing,
asking google for results, if already relying on google
and turn to users just plain search results?

I guess that would require Ubuntu help.ubuntu.com server actually do
some work with searching without just forwarding users to Google, like now.