Some fancy pants screwed help.ubuntu.com search again.

Marko Oreskovic markoresko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:13:54 UTC 2011

Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> I spent a fair amount of time today (that I should have been doing
> more useful stuff) testing to see if any other search provider could
> be plugged into our site. Bing quit their site search program and
> replaced it with a complex API. As volunteers who aren't web
> developers, that is not a workable option. I also tried DuckDuckGo
> which has an embeddable search box but it doesn't work right with site
> search. Google is by far the best option.
>
> If you're a programmer, you're more than welcome to submit a working
> alternative. Otherwise, I don't want to listen to your paranoid rants
> saying that we should remove search from our site. The Ubuntu
> documentation team is rather small and all-volunteer. Your emails are
> preventing us from focusing on fixing real problems.

We had solution that was previously working just fine (and using
Google), just without forcing people to use google.com javascripts on
their side.

If you could do restore previous setting for help.ubuntu.com from
backups, that would solve the problem.

Please do not call me names and try to solve problem the most simple way
if you can. If you can not, we have already-working solution that did
not require any "fixing" actually.