Menu Bar

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 03:50:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ted Gould told me on May 5 that the top panel is the menu bar and the
> indicators should all be referred to as menus, like Sound Menu and
> Messaging Menu.
> Here's the mailing list message:
> https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg04905.html
> Unfortunately nobody else said anything to confirm or deny that, but
> Ted knows what he is doing.
>
> I, for one, am pretty happy with the menu bar idea because it makes it
> very easy to point people in that direction (“X menu” inherently
> belongs to the menu bar), and we used to have “the applications menu”
> anyway. It's probably worth bringing up terminology at UDS-O, because
> that really needs communication across teams; no one team will be able
> to nail this. Especially over email.

At first I was a bit turned-off to the idea of calling it the menu bar, but
because most application menus reside there, I think it makes sense from a
user perspective to call it that. Calling it just the "panel" doesn't convey
its new functionality. Calling it the menu bar reminds users of the location
of the menus.

There are a lot of inconsistencies around terminology, though.  Even the
Ubuntu home page refers to the home button / ubuntu button / ubuntu logo as
the "ubuntu logo." ( http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/whats-new )

I think that's part of where we can help out. It seems like different
internal groups are calling it different things, but we can be an additional
voice asking what will make the most sense to users.

Jim