Objectives for Oneiric - Brainstorming

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 28 07:18:57 UTC 2011

On 28 April 2011 00:42, Kyle Nitzsche <kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 01:46 PM, Shaun McCance wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 10:38 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
>>>
>>> • Move 11.04 docs to ubuntu-docs package
>>>  - the docs now in gnome-user-docs are customised so heavily that it
>>> is appropriate for them to be in a separate package, with yelp patched
>>> to open them by default.
>>>  - this would allow us to ship gnome-user-docs as a vanilla upstream
>>> release for those using gnome-shell.
>>
>> Thanks, this would be appreciated. Even if the Ubuntu help started
>> as a fork of gnome-user-docs, it really is a separate document and
>> it ought to have its own document ID.
>>
>> I would still like to have upstream Yelp be able to determine which
>> document to load based on what desktops it's running under. If Yelp
>> is just patched downstream, it will still show the Unity help by
>> default even when running under GNOME Shell.
>>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to recommend that yelp consult gconf key to determine its home
> page/content. That makes it so easy to customize.

I'm not sure that helps with the particular problem of showing a
different page depending on which desktop (Unity, Unity-2d,
gnome-shell, xfce, etc) the user has logged in with. Could a gconf key
exist that changes depending on this? Even if it could, would it be
the right thing to do?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org