Menu Bar

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 27 19:21:16 UTC 2011

On 27 April 2011 21:13, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net> wrote:
> In accordance with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MenuBar I propose we refer
> to the top panel as the "menu bar." The menu bar is the row stretching
> across the top of the screen containing the Ubuntu button, application
> menus, and status menus (specifically application status menus and
> system status menus although I'm not sure users care about the
> difference).
>
> This is a big change to the docs so I want to get feedback first.
> Especially as we've had trouble deciding the best names for this
> stuff.

I'm happy with this, although perhaps again we can use a linking
system for users who might not understand what it is.

For me this is *not* a change we should make to the natty docs because
it is non-essential and would result in quite a lot of work which we
should focus elsewhere at this stage. The pages we have already which
mention the top panel will already be understood by users.

> But then again, the Unity developers have multiple names for things.

I think that a discussion with the developers to standardise on
terminology is the right approach here. UDS is probably a good place
to do this. Let's add it to the list of Jim's topics for discussion.
Once an approved list exists and everyone is happy with it, we can
maintain it somewhere.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org