Call for review - chat and social networking section

Jeremy Bicha jeremy at bicha.net
Mon Apr 25 22:58:13 UTC 2011

On 25 April 2011 18:43, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I liked how you used, "what's this?" to link to a possibly-unfamiliar term.
> What do other people think about this? We don't normally use contractions,
> but I feel ok with using one in those cases.

While "what's this?" looks cool, it's like a tooltip that can't be
turned off. Since this is web-like content, we can just use a normal
hyperlink. Just my opinion.

The Gnome Documentation Style Guide says "no contractions", apparently
because they were believed to be more difficult to understand and
translate. But the guide was not updated yet for Gnome 3 and the Gnome
3 Help is full of contractions.

We want the docs to be professional but also casual and readable to
end-users. I think using contractions help us meet that goal. Also I
don't think we want to eliminate all the contractions from our Help if
Gnome 3 won't.

Jeremy