Fw: The top right thing

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Mon Apr 18 18:54:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 18:34 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On 18 April 2011 18:21, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:
> > For instructions that involve clicking that icon to get
> > to that menu, I'd probably go with something like "Click
> > the power icon in the top-right corner to access the
> > session menu, then select <gui>...</gui>."
> >
> > Maybe a little wordy, but it doesn't assume the reader
> > knows your terminology. It also introduces readers to
> > the term, which is helpful if "session menu" is referred
> > to frequently in forums or docs you don't control.
>
> It's a bit cumbersome to use that on each page where you need to issue
> such an instruction. The way I'd like to do it would be to use the
> phrase "session menu" and link that phrase to the page which explains
> what the terminology is, preferably with icons.

It is somewhat cumbersome, I agree. If you read that same thing
over and over, you might get sick of it. But I generally work on
the assumption that the reader is looking at this one page, then
closing the help. There's trade-offs either way.

We used both approaches for the GNOME help. For example, for the
accessibility pages, we often refer to the "universal access icon",
and we then have page telling you where it is. We could have done
a better job of cross-linking that though.

--
Shaun