Fw: The top right thing

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Mon Apr 18 18:21:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 11:46 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:

> As much as I would like to call it, "the top right thing," the Ayatana
> folks have confirmed it as the "Session Menu."

For instructions that involve clicking that icon to get
to that menu, I'd probably go with something like "Click
the power icon in the top-right corner to access the
session menu, then select <gui>...</gui>."

Maybe a little wordy, but it doesn't assume the reader
knows your terminology. It also introduces readers to
the term, which is helpful if "session menu" is referred
to frequently in forums or docs you don't control.

Also, short of a very verbose description like "the circle
with the top cut out and a line sticking into it from the
top", "power icon" is probably the most user-recognizable
description of that icon.

--
Shaun