Gnome docs update before Beta 2?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 12 21:26:03 UTC 2011

On 12 April 2011 11:44, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 12 April 2011 12:34, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <ubuntu at gunnar.cc> wrote:
>> On 2011-04-12 09:33, Matthew East wrote:
>>> Another issue is what to do with ubuntu-docs. At present it is pretty
>>> useless on the CD as it isn't shown by yelp. However at the same time
>>> it is used by at least two applications that I can think of for help
>>> (jockey and usb-creator). If we are to drop ubuntu-docs we need to
>>> either include that help in the applications themselves, include the
>>> help in gnome-user-docs and update the applications accordingly, ship
>>> a slimmed down version of ubuntu-docs with just those documents, or
>>> leave it as it is.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Seeing that the ongoing work is all Unity focused, shouldn't we take
>> into consideration that classic GNOME will be an option also in 11.04?
>> One possible way to do that might be to link to ubuntu-docs - the whole
>> thing or parts of it - with the remark that while parts of the old docs
>> may be dated, they may still be more relevant to classic users.
>
> This is a clever idea. All we would need to do is to write an index
> page to link to the various documents present in ubuntu-docs and use
> it as our "classic Gnome" help.

After a brief chat with Jim this evening on IRC I have updated
ubuntu-docs to use a new custom index page shipped in the package
(based on the index used on help.ubuntu.com). I've also made a few
other changes to the package to correct various broken links to old
Gnome upstream documentation which is no longer present. It's now
uploaded, although it may not be in time for the beta release.

Jim will take care of adding a link to this index page from the
current yelp index or somewhere else appropriate in the
gnome-user-docs package. We expect to upload a new gnome-user-docs
tomorrow.

David - there is a new (very short) pot template in the ubuntu-docs
package. It is called "gnome-classic-index". Please could you approve
it for translation in Launchpad.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org