Gnome docs update before Beta 2?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:31:58 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <ubuntu at gunnar.cc>wrote:

> On 2011-04-12 13:44, Matthew East wrote:
> > On 12 April 2011 12:34, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <ubuntu at gunnar.cc> wrote:
> >> Seeing that the ongoing work is all Unity focused, shouldn't we take
> >> into consideration that classic GNOME will be an option also in 11.04?
> >> One possible way to do that might be to link to ubuntu-docs - the whole
> >> thing or parts of it - with the remark that while parts of the old docs
> >> may be dated, they may still be more relevant to classic users.
> >
> > This is a clever idea. All we would need to do is to write an index
> > page to link to the various documents present in ubuntu-docs and use
> > it as our "classic Gnome" help.
>
> It wouldn't be an ideal solution, but considering that we are short of
> time...
>
> Another reason to keep shipping ubuntu-docs is that docs in applications
> may be linking to it. I just wrote a document that ended up in
> language-selector, and it includes a link to add-applications#installing.
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson

ghelp links to both external docbook (<link href="ghelp:about-ubuntu">about
documents are working, but there are some issues.

For example, I can link to "about-ubuntu", but there doesn't appear to be
any way to get back up to the index from there, and I can't seem to find a
directory that would contain the "index" of the old Ubuntu-docs package (it
might have been in /usr/share/gnome/help/gnome-help/).

If it is outside of the /usr/share/gnome/help directory, I don't think we
can link to it through ghelp links. Also, when rendering "about-ubuntu" it
looks like the link to one of the images is broken.

I'm not sure how the ubuntu-docs package was arranged previously, but I
think the issues I'm seeing are at least somewhat related to the gnome help
switching to Mallard.

Jim