How can I help?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:01:44 UTC 2011

Hi Shaun,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:

>  On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 13:10 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
> > Hi Shaun,
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org>
> > wrote:
> >         Hi all,
> >
> >         Ubuntu doc regulars like Phil and Jim were critical in getting
> >         the new GNOME help into shape. Now that GNOME 3 is out the
> >         door
> >         and I have a modicum of free time available, I want to help
> >         you
> >         all with the Ubuntu help.
> >
> >         What can I do to help?
> >
> >         --
> >         Shaun
> >

> > Thanks for offering to help. One thing that would be particularly
> > helpful involves the Mallard HTML output. As we discussed at one
> > point, the HTML output in Mallard is mostly set up to provide
> > something functional, but it would be nice if we could get the HTML
> > help to look a bit more Ubuntu-ish.
> >
> > There is an Ubuntu web style guide (PDF) that is extraordinarily
> > detailed: http://design.canonical.com/brand/D.%20Ubuntu%20Web%
> > 20Guidelines.pdf  I wouldn't expect the help to conform to those
> > standards exactly, but it can be helpful with regards to fonts,
> > colors, heading sizes, and stuff like that.
> >
> > Someone also has an Ubuntu django-theme branch:
> >
> https://code.launchpad.net/~chrisjohnston/ubuntu-website/django-css-guidelines
> >
> > Would the CSS stuff be something that you think you could help with?
>
> Do you want this just for web builds? Or do you want to change
> the look of things inside Yelp? The rendering in Yelp has a lot
> of design constraints, including:
>
> 1) Yelp always follows theme colors for accessibility.
> 2) Yelp rendering scales with font sizes for accessibility.
> 3) Yelp assumes the window won't be bigger than about 500px.

The rendering in Yelp is great. No adjustments needed there.

> I notice the style guide has a lot of information about pixel
> dimensions and grid layouts. I can override the HTML output
> for the web to match those.

Cool! I just skimmed through the layout stuff in that document.  Having not
seen such a guide before I was not sure what would be useful.

> By the way, the current rendering
> is not haphazard. It follows a more-or-less 1.2-multiplicative
> scale, with adjustments at the extreme ends of the scale.
>
> As for colors (on the web), if you want any colors other than
> the orange-grey-white in that document, somebody else should
> probably make me some colors that fit into that scheme. The
> tools assume background and border variants of grey, yellow,
> blue, and red, as well as a base background color, text color,
> and light text color. I'm red-green color-blind. If I try to
> make a new palette, you won't like the results.

I forget that you are color blind. If you could just follow the documented
palette, that would be great. If needed, we can tweak here or there to get a
slightly different output.

Thank you, Shaun!!

Jim