bzr push

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 20 20:34:50 UTC 2010

Hi Dan,

On 20 September 2010 17:28, Dan 'Da Man' <heymrdjd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even while I have done that (pushed to my own branch), everytime I
> make a bundle, the resulting file shows all the previous revisions I
> have made, not just the most recent one.  I have learned a command to
> produce a file with the most recent revision, but how else can I
> resolve the issue of pushing/merging my revisions with the main/parent
> branch so that the main branch is a mirror of mine?  Am I capable of
> achieving that or does a member with sufficient privileges have to do
> that on my behalf?

That's correct - a member of the ~ubuntu-core-doc team has to merge
your changes.

There are a variety of ways of getting around your issue as far as I can see.

I think the way that bzr is designed to work is for you to push a
different branch for each bug that you're working on. So you would
create a repository on your local drive (bzr init-repo .) and then
download the master branch into that. You would keep that up to date
with the main branch without making changes to it. Then you would
create a separate branch to work on a particular bug or issue, and
submit that branch to Launchpad and link it with each bug report that
it addresses. Given that you are using a local repository and so does
Launchpad, the download/upload time for pushing a new branch would be
minimal.

However, for me that approach is rather cumbersome and will result in
quite a lot of branches around the place. The second way to do it is
simply not to create bundles at all, but just keep pushing your branch
to Launchpad and ask for the particular commits to be reviewed. So
when you make a commit that fixes a particular bug, you would specify
the bug number so that the bug report gets linked to the branch:

$ bzr commit --fixes lp:54321 -m "Typo in internet/webapps.xml"

Or you can just post to the bug with the details of the branch and the
revision number which fixes the bug. That way we can merge from the
branch periodically and review all of the changes which it makes. Or
we can merge individual commits.

The last way, if you'd like to continue to produce bundles and attach
them to bug reports, you can use the revision option when you are
producing your bundle. That allows you to specify the revision(s) that
you would like to include in your bundle. So say your branch has 100
revisions, and you would like to include revision 98 in your bundle.
You would do:

$ bzr bundle -r 97..98 > mychanges.diff

That includes the changes made between revision 97 and 98 (i.e. by revision 98).

If you want to include more than one revision in your bundle, you can
do that too. So, say you would like to include revisions 98 and 99 in
your bundle. You would do:

$ bzr bundle -r 97..99 > mychanges.diff

Hope this helps, and thanks for your work.

Are you an Xubuntu user? The Xubuntu docs have been unmaintained for a
couple of release cycles and if you are interested in giving them a
good cleanup, that would be great.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org