Improving Package descriptions

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 23 05:15:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 10:52 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> So, even though I don't know yet their plans, let's assume that people
> on the Ubuntu side would like to do some review / improvement on package
> descriptions and also that they want to contribute back their work to
> Debian (as I hope :-)).

Everyone, Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I was hoping to hear some response from Ubuntu Docs team or Phil
Bull[who seemed the only person from the docs team interested in this].
None seem free right now. Not sure if anyone from the docs team will be
at the UDS either.

Cleaning up the descriptions is a huge task and for Software Center we
do hope to improve these descriptions.
Since Debian is clearly interested in fixing these and the Docs team is
also interested in collaborating with Debian, let's hope the planets
align soon and we get the ball rolling. ;)

Btw, the link for the blueprint has changed to:
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdevs-foundations-n-user-contributed-metadata-for-software-center>

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 11:55 +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> I think it's good that reviews are done in the mailing list. They end
> up with a bug report filed against the relevant package.
>
> Bugs are user-tagged as follows:
> user debian-i18n at lists.debian.org
> usertag debconf-rewrite
>
> This, because, they are debconf reviews. We could imagine tagging them
> as "description-rewrite".
>

> > Similarly, what is the best contact point to coordinate such
> > initiatives? I take -l10n-english is, but this is your chance to say
> > something else would be preferable!
>

> Yep, -l10n-english. http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject is
> a good pointer to give.
>
> What we are most missing are motivated native speakers of English. We
> need people who love their language and are very keen at writing it
> properly. This is what makes the success of Smith reviews, indeed.
>
> (of course, I do not count myself among such very clever people, I'm
> just the fool who shakes things to make them happen, and also the fool
> who makes everybody's day with my reviews in Frenglish...)
>
> I would recommend the use of the toolkit I'm using myself (it's linked
> on the wiki page):
> http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/smith/sdrp-toolkit.tar.gz
>
> This is a set of (badly written) scripts that are probably handy for
> this (there are also texts  meant to be sent to maintainers: these
> ones are important for them to understand....and accept the work
> that's being done. There are years of experience behind these
> texts..:-))

Thanks for the information, we'll keep those in mind while forwarding
the bugs to Debian.

--
Cheers,
Vish