[Ubuntu-manual] Ubuntu extra documentaion library (Working title)

Luke-Jennings ubuntujenkins at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 15 09:51:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 23:25 +0000, sungsuha at gmail.com wrote:
> 2010. 6. 15.오전 7:04, Luke-Jennings <ubuntujenkins at googlemail.com>님
> 이 작성:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > In the focus of working together as one big team I decided that
> there
> >
> > was a hole in the desktop for a program that pulls together all of
> the
> >
> > extra documentation produced by all the teams.
> >

> > This would be a great way to get the quick start guides which the
> doc
> >
> > and manual teams are working on, along with the manuals. I also
> thought
> >
> > about the roll of the learning team and thought this idea [1] could
> be
> >
> > developed to work with learning team material as well.
> >

> > One particular use case that I see is on events people could refer
> >
> > particular "lessons" for all the documents they need for that
> session.
> >
> > Also the option to search through the available documents could be a
> >
> > possibility.
> >

> > The idea is very rough and is the very first draft, I will say I am
> not
> >
> > the best as drawing.
> >

> > If you look at the picture you will see that down the left you have
> >
> > section/topics in which you can use to filter the number of files
> that
> >
> > you see. In the right you see a preview image of the cover, a little
> >
> > description, a file size and a choice of languages if available.
> >

> > The user selects the file and clicks download and the file is
> downloaded
> >
> > on to the folder they have chosen. Once it is downloaded it can be
> >
> > opened using their favourite/default viewer for that type of
> document.
> >

> > Every time I think about it the more complex the program gets, I see
> >
> > this as a great way of keeping our extra documentation in one place.
> the
> >
> > current working title is "extra documentation library" (I have no
> real
> >
> > name yet).
> >

> > Any thoughts or suggestions on the program idea are welcome. I am
> keen
> >
> > to get started on this soon and anyone who wishes to help please
> contact
> >
> > me.
> >

> > Many Thanks
> >

> > Luke Jennings
> >
> > (ubuntujenkins on #freenode)
> >

> [1]http://picasaweb.google.com/104781401145212566403/Ideas#5482406598436230818

> I think that there is a great need for such a program.
>
> What I would like to know is, what position/role would your program be
> in regards to the already existing "ubuntu help center"(the icon
> besides the firefox)
>
> Would it replace/complement it? Or those it have core goals that are
> irrelevant of it?
I see the program as complementing the existing help centre by providing
a location to find all of the documentation produced by the teams in
formats such as pdfs odt and odps etc .
> If it is to replace or complement it, maybe we could reuse or extend
> existing infrastructure.
I had not considered extending yelp however I think that the existing
infrastructure in yelp does not provide the functionality that would be
needed to create a library of files. I think that it would be easier
create a separate program.

Many Thanks

Luke Jennings
(ubuntujenkins on #freenode)