[Ubuntu-manual] An interesting blog by Matt Zimmerman touches on docs

Christopher Vagnetoft cvagnetoft at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 21:54:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Kyle Nitzsche
<kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com>wrote:

> So that is where I'd be putting my efforts at re-thinking docs:
> * how to start building the best web-based system possible (one that
> supports the Ubuntu ecosystem, including regular Ubuntu releases and Ubuntu
> variants)
> * identifying the content that *must* be delivered as packages onto the
> disk (basically identifying the "Getting started/Getting Connected" and
> content)

On that topic, http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/mySGML.html contains some
good reading. In my opinion both offline help, downloadable PDF
documentation and ideally a printed book should be made available as a bare
minimum. Nothing beats a printed book when it comes to reference :)

There is most certainly a publisher out there that would be interested in
the book printing part, if not I must say that "Ubuntu Press" sounds quite
fancy. The logistics part is already there for ordering installation discs,
I'm not sure how it's all linked together but in my head it sounds like a
great plan :)

Best regards,
Chris